What is it?
A Ministry approved program that allows secondary and post-secondary students to earn school credits while completing a work placement. Co-op placements are arranged for students by the school that they are attending; the co-op is monitored by their school’s designated cooperative education coordinator and assigned NTEC staff.
We work with the school by providing ongoing evaluation of the student’s performance, provide feedback, and work with the students to assist with skill development. We provide work opportunities that are similar in content to work that is performed by employees, but that has been adjusted to take into account the student’s experience and skill level.All co-op positions are unpaid
Who is it for?
Students who are heading for college, apprenticeships or the workplace.
How does it help?
Students have the opportunity to:
- Experience hands-on learning
- "Test-drive" career options
- See the relevance of their classroom learning
- Develop the essential skills and habits required in the workplace
- Gain valuable work experience to help build a résumé for postsecondary programs and future employment
Some Cooperative Education Opportunities currently available at NTEC:
- IT – Information Technology
How can I obtain more information?
***Please note: All Cooperative Education Students must be referred by Developmental Services Ontario For more information, follow this link: http://www.dsontario.ca/agencies/dso-hamilton-niagara